08 May 2012

My Top 10 No Doubt songs



With the announcement of the release date of the new No Doubt album I thought I would post my top ten favourite songs.

It was bloody hard, after all they're my fave band!!!

10. Ex-Girlfriend Original Version


Gwen Stefani originally composed the song as a dirge about her relationship with Bush's lead singer Gavin Rossdale, whom she married in 2002. After listening to it, the band increased the tempo because the album already included several ballads. I however prefer the original version.

9. Magic's in the Makeup


This song is awesome live, I really hope I get to see them when they tour for the new album.


8. Where's Your Lovin'


This is an unreleased song, never came out on an album which is a shame because it shows some of the better ska sounds that early No Doubt had.

7. Full Circle


Coincidences in Gwen's life had been piling up and she found herself compelled to pull them together as this song took shape.

6. Greener Pastures


Originally released on The Beacon Street Collection, this was also one of the B-Sides of the UK release of Don't Speak. This track was one of the main reasons I fell in love with No Doubt in the first place. The track spoke to me on a lot of levels because I was going through some rough patches at the time. I like this live version a lot because of the use of the horns.

5. Underneath it All


This has a great reggae influenced sound to it. Also, how can you not just fall in love with Gwen from 3:18 onwards? She looks absolutely gorgeous!

4. Excuse Me Mr.


There were originally two versions of this recorded, a country tinged one that the producer liked and the rock take that the band preferred. Unfortunately, the bands version disappeared in a studio accident. While the label and producer urged No Doubt to settle for the folky take, the group held for a ransom a final Tragic Kingdom track they'd written and would only add it to the sessions if they got to re-record Excuse Me Mr. at its original frantic pace. They got their way when the label and producer heard the ransomed track called "Spiderwebs".

3. You're so Foxy


First thought to be a potential single, it is a spinning disco rock hyybrid bearing clear Blondie influences and was originally titled "Agony and Ecstasy".

2. Hey You


My favourite track from Tragic Kingdom. It was the last single to feature original percussionist Eric Stefani, who already left three years prior to pursue an animation career on the animated sitcom The Simpsons. This is the live version from the Tragic Kingdom tour.

1. Running


Sometimes the simplest concepts bear the most creative fruit. For this decidely new wave-ish track, Gwen and Tony followed one basic prime directive: mold a tune in the vintage vein of the 80's group the Thompson Twins.

The lyrics really speak to me with this one, and I ADORE the video seeing No Doubt over the years. This was their last original single released as the others were covers.

So what do you think?

What would YOU have in your list?

Let me know in the comments below or on Facebook/Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...