10 May 2012

My Top 10 Game Music



Recently on Twitter 8-Bit Girl asked for some recommendations for videogame soundtracks.

So I thought I would post my top ten favourite tracks from videogames.

The only rule I put on this is that I could only pick one song per franchise, so if I wanted to add a song from Mario 64 I couldn't add one from any other Mario game.

Also this is my own personal favourite list. Don't agree? Post YOUR favourites.

Got it? Good.

Now on with the music!!!

10. Rez - Buggie Running Beats


I love this. It starts off simple but as you get further into the level more layers are added to the music. When you reach layer 10 it totally blows your mind!

9. Final Fantasy VII - World Map


I spent hours running and flying around Gaia in FF7. Now we can hear the music without getting into any random battles \o/

8. Gitaroo Man - Flyin' to Your heart


I went with the English version of this over the Japanese version because I prefer the lyrics that way.

7. Vib Ribbon - Roll Along


By the awesome band "Laugh and Peace", this song makes me bounce along with joy everytime I hear it.

6. Portal 2 - Want You Gone


Yes I chose this over the first games "Still Alive". If you feel liquid running down your neck, relax, lie on your back, and apply immediate pressure to your temples. You are simply experiencing a rare reaction in which the Material Emancipation Grill may have emancipated the ear tubes inside your head.

5. Streets of Rage 2 - Go Straight


This shows the power of the 8-bit Mega Drive/Genesis soundchip. The music is described by Yuzo Koshiro, the composer, as "hard-core techno". Personally I couldn't think of better music to walk down the street and beat up guys to.

4. Mario Galaxy - Gusty Garden


The first time I came across this level in Mario Galaxy I was just blown away by it. An utterly breathtaking track.

3. Super Metroid - Upper Brinstar


When I think Super Metroid, this track immediately comes to mind. My favourite section of my favourite game.

2. Jet Set Radio - Rock It On


Whack this on your iPod (other mp3 players are available) and put on some rollerblades and you'll think you're actually in the game. All you need now is some spray paint.

1. Metal Gear Solid - The Best Is Yet To Come


First time I heard this after completing the awesome game on PSone my neck hairs stood on end and I got goosebumps. An absolutely haunting track.

Come sing along with me!!!

An cuimhin leat an grá
Crá croí an ghrá
Níl anois ach ceol na h-oíche
Táim sioraí i ngrá
Leannáin le smál
Leannáin le smál
Lig leis agus beidh leat
Lig leis agus beidh grá

WHAT!!! NO SONIC THE HEDGEHOG?????

Yeah, he's getting his own top ten list at some time next week

7 comments:

  1. My personal favourite of all time is the theme from Supremacy, which is also the favourite game of my childhood.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97iLI48yX9s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great track Craig!

    Those earlier systems did some wonderful stuff with soundchips

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's worth saying that that game is one of the best that the C64 platform had to offer. Indeed, it was one of the precursors to the RTS genre - a real classic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a nice list! Do you mind if I do my top 10 for my blog? I'll link it back to this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shenhua (vocal) from Shenmue:
    http://youtu.be/LjBIYjsb4sg
    Nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great track! Personally that would be somewhere in the top 15

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...