04 January 2012

Fishy's Series Reviews - Buffy The Vampire Slayer



In every generation there is a Chosen One. She alone will stand against the vampires, the demons and the forces of darkness.

She is the Slayer

Info
Number of Episodes – 144 over 7 seasons
When was it on – 1997-2003
Running time - About 44 minutes per episode
Also - Dark Horse are currently doing Series Eight and Nine in comic form from the shows creator Joss Whedon
Cast –
Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy
Anthony Head as Giles
Alyson Hannigan as Willow
Nicholas Brendon as Xander
Charisma Carpenter as Cordelia
David Boreanaz as Angel
Eliza Dushku as Faith

The plot
Buffy Summers just moved with her mum from L.A., where she set fire to the school gym, to Sunnydale, which is alas experiencing a plague of vampirism. She meets nerd Willow Rosenberg, soft-cool skateboarder Xander Harris and his mate Jesse McNally, fashionable snooty Cordelia Chase and the somewhat creepy new British librarian Rupert Giles.

When a corpse with bite-marks is found in a locker, she realizes but refuses to acknowledge her vampire-killing past is catching up and keeps Giles, her watcher (trainer), at arms-length, but is stalked by Angel who refers to something called the hell-mouth.

Finally her destiny kicks in...

What's right with it?
Joss Whedon set out to create a series based on that blonde girl you always see in horror films who gets killed first, but have her be the hero

It starts out as a monster of the week show and the mythos is built on more and more, but the main thing you take away from this is the characters. All of them go through their own personal story arcs that makes them feel 3 dimensional. You’ll hurt when they hurt, cry when they cry and w00t when they win their battles

What’s wrong with it?
The first series seems a bit cheesy, but is essential viewing for the start of the mythos.

Plus it’s not a good series to jump into the middle of it. You REALLY do need to watch it from the start and it’s a big jump to make

Series six and seven arent as good as earlier series, but certain episodes, especially the finale, more than make up for it

Best Character?
Willow Rosenberg

Oh Willow, sweet red headed geeky Willow. Starting out as the shy tech geek, she stole my heart.

She then goes on to date a guitarist, who turns out to be a Werewolf, starts delving into wiccan spells, becomes a lesbian and gets addicted to magic

EVERY character goes through a lot though, but I just love the quirky humour of Willow and I dig the red heads ^_^

"Well, when I'm with a boy I like, it's hard for me to say anything cool or witty or at all. I can usually make a few vowel sounds, and then I have to go away"

"Great, I'll give Xander a call. What's his number? Oh yeah, 1-800-IM-DATING-A-SKANKY-HO"

"Oz does not eat people. It's more werewolf play. You know, I bat you around a little bit, like a cat toy. I have harmless wolf fun. Is it Oz's fault that, you know, side effect, people get cut to ribbons, and maybe then he'll take a little nibble and... I'm not helping, am I?"

"It's horrible. That's me as a vampire? I'm so evil, and skanky. And I think I'm kind of gay"



Best Episode?
It’s so bloody hard to choose, but I guess I’ll go back to my favourite trope of all – The Alternate Universe

Series 3 Episode 9 - The Wish

It starts off with Cordelia having a rough time, after having her nerd of a boyfriend kissing another girl, and when she tries to get back with her cliquey group they want nothing to do with her being a nerds castoff. To top it all off she is humiliated in her favourite club by Buffy who accidently throws her into garbage while fighting off a vampire

She decides that Buffy is the sole problem in her life so wishes that she never came to Sunnydale.
Being Buffy one of Cordie’s classmates just happens to be a vengeance demon who grants her the wish

She finds herself in a town overrun by the previous series Big Bad, most of the student body are dead or vampires, there is now a monthly memorial at the school, dances are held during the day and there is a nighttime curfew

Tragedy ensues……

The reason why I love this episode the most is that it shows us what could have been without Buffy, and the answer is a pretty dark universe

Xander - "But you know what really bugs me? Okay, we kissed. It was a mistake, but I know that was positively the last time we were ever gonna kiss."
Willow - "Darn tootin'."
Xander - "And they burst in rescuing us, without even knocking? I mean this is really all their fault."
Buffy - "Your logic does not resemble our Earth logic."
Xander - "Mine is much more advanced."

Buffy - "Why don't I just put a stake through her heart?"
Giles - "She's not a vampire."
Buffy - "Yeah, well, you'd be surprised how many things that'll kill."


Other episodes of note are

- the two parter Surprise/Innocence
- and Becoming part one and two.
Both of these two parters features a lot of the classic Buffy and Angel love story and are essential viewing

- Doppelgängland
Follows up the storyline from the Wish

- Hush
The silent episode, which has some really creepy monsters

- Once More with Feeling
The musical episode, featuring the real life singing talents of the cast

Best Scene?
The opening credits just shows how cool this is and has awesome music to boot

Featured here are all seven openings so you can see how the characters looks and special effects evolved over the course of the series



and this scene is probably the most heartbreaking scene of any show I have ever watched, makes me well up everytime I watch it ;_;



Best Quotes?
Willow: You're the Slayer, and we're, like, the Slayerettes!

Xander - "We just saw the zebras mating. Thank you, very exciting!"
Willow - "It was like the Heimlich... with stripes!"

Oz - "The monkey is the only cookie animal that gets to wear clothes, you know that... You have the sweetest smile I've ever seen... So I'm wondering, do the other cookie animals feel sort of ripped? Like, is the hippo going, "hey man, where are my pants? I have my hippo dignity." And you know the monkey's just, [in French accent] "I mock you with my monkey pants," then there's a big coup at the zoo..."
Willow - "The monkey's French?"
Oz - "All monkeys are French. You didn't know that?"

Willow - "I think you're ready now, or at least in the state of pre-readiness to make conversation, or-or to do that thing with your mouth that boys like. [Buffy glares at her] Oh, I didn't mean that bad thing with your mouth, I meant that little half-smile thing that you... [looks at Oz] you're supposed to stop me when I do that."
Oz - "I like when you do that"

Faith - "The whole summer it was, like, the worst heatwave. So, it's about 118 degrees and I'm sleepin' without a stitch on, and all of a sudden I hear this screamin' from outside. So I go tearin' out stark nude and this church bus is broke down and there's three vamps feasting on half the Baptists in South Boston. So I waste the vamps and the preacher comes up and he's hugging me like there's no tomorrow when all of a sudden the cops pull up and they arrested us both."
Xander - "Wow. They should film that story and show it every Christmas!!!"

Cordelia - "So does looking at guns make you wanna have sex?"
Xander - I'm 17. Looking at linoleum makes me wanna have sex."

Dru - "I'm naming all the stars."
Spike - "You can't see the stars, love; that's the ceiling. Also, it's day."
Dru - "I can see them, but I've named them all the same name, and there's terrible confusion."

Xander - "You know, maybe we're on the wrong track with the whole spell, curse and whammy thing. Maybe what we should be looking for is something like... Slayer kryptonite."
Oz - "Faulty metaphor. Kryptonite kills."
Xander - "You're assuming I was talking about the green kryptonite. I was referring, of course, to the red kryptonite, which drains Superman of all his powers."
Oz - "Wrong. The gold kryptonite's the power-sucker. The red kryptonite mutates Superman into some sort of weird --"
Buffy - "Guys, reality!"

Bonus Trivia
The series is based not on the feature film Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but Joss Whedon's original screenplay, which had been heavily rewritten to be more comedic. The Buffy comic book series adapted the screenplay, bringing the events of the movie in line with the TV show's continuity.

Series Creator Joss Whedon has said that the idea for Buffy came from all the horror movies he had seen featuring a helpless young blonde who would almost always be the first to die. He felt she needed a better image.

Buffy's birthday was celebrated in the episode first aired on or near 19 January each year. In the first-year episode "I Robot, You Jane", Malcolm brings up Buffy's school records on his computer. In the first view, we see that Buffy was born on 24 October 1980, and that she is a sophomore. The second time we see Buffy's records, her birthday is 6 May 1979, and she is a senior. Joss Whedon finally decreed Buffy's birthday to be 19 January 1981, so Buffy shares her birthday with me ^_^

Verdict
Everyone that enjoys True Blood or Twilight owe something to this show

Buffy and Angels romance is one for the ages full of love and tragedy

Everyone should watch this series

My fellow Scoobies would agree with me

Watch it!!!

4 comments:

  1. I feel that the once more with feeling episode has been totally overlooked in this blog and being an all time classic episode i feel you should have atleast put a special mention about it brad! lol loving the blog tho !!!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. But.....I did mention it

    That episode gets a lot of praise and deservedly so, I just thought a my fave episode could be something different, plus I'm planning on doing a musical episodes blog very soon and that will be one featured

    ReplyDelete
  3. anthony head was the best

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that is true, he was awesome as the Watcher but sexy red head witches are better :P

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...