11 October 2011

Fishy's Film Reviews - The Lion King




Saw The Lion King today

IN THREEEEEE DEEEEEEEE!!!

Info
Certificate – U
Running time – 89 minutes
Scene after the credits – Seeing as Disney now own Marvel, Baloo (voiced by Samuel L Jackson) shows up at the end in an extra scene to sign Simba up to the Scavengers Initiative

Just kidding about that, although the new Avengers trailer came out today which I am SUPER excited aboot!

Version Reviewed – Cinema errrr…. 17th anniversary? Anyway, the 3D version

For those keeping track it’s a 3D version of the original theatrical release, so no “Morning Report” song from the special edition DVD

Cast –
Jon Thomas (*snigger) / Matthew Broderick as Simba
James Earl Jones as Mufasa
Jeremy Irons as Scar
Nathan Lane as Timon
Ernise Sabella as Pumbaa



The plot
A young lion prince is born in Africa, thus making his uncle Scar the second in line to the throne.

Scar plots with the hyenas to kill King Mufasa and Prince Simba, thus making himself King.

The King is killed and Simba is led to believe by Scar that it was his fault, and so flees the kingdom in shame.

What's right with it?
When I think Disney, this film, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast immediately come to mind. This to me is classic Disney

It's a great story with tragedy, comedy and awesome songs

This film must be watched by everyone!

What’s wrong with it?
The stampede scene, gets me everytime ;_;
Nothings WRONG with it, if you’ve seen that scene you know what I’m on aboot

Best Scene?


After a really emotional scene where Simba gets his chutzpah back to go back to the pridelands you need a funny scene to lighten the mood, and this does with gusto. Makes me laugh EVERYTIME I WATCH IT

Bear in mind I must have seen this film about 100 times now, and this scene many more times than that

Best Quote?

Pumbaa: Hey, Timon, ever wonder what those sparkly dots are up there?
Timon: Pumbaa, I don't wonder; I know.
Pumbaa: Oh. What are they?
Timon: They're fireflies. Fireflies that, uh... got stuck up on that big bluish-black thing.
Pumbaa: Oh, gee. I always thought they were balls of gas burning billions of miles away.
Timon: Pumbaa, with you, everything's gas.

[Timon and Zazu are cornered by hyenas]
Timon: Please don't eat me.
Pumbaa: Drop 'em!
Banzai: Hey! Who's the pig?
Pumbaa: Are you talkin' to me?
Timon: Uh-oh, they called him a pig.
Pumbaa: Are you talking to *me*?
Timon: Ya shouldn't have done that.
Pumbaa: ARE YOU TALKING TO ME?
Timon: Now they're in for it.
Pumbaa: THEY CALL ME MR. PIG! AHHHH!

Bonus Trivia
One of the bugs that Timon pulls out of a knothole during Hakuna Matata is wearing Mickey Mouse ears.

The line, "What do you want me to do, dress in drag and do the hula?" was improvised by Nathan Lane.

When writer Irene Mecchi came on board, she was told that the story pitch was "Bambi in Africa meets Hamlet", or "Bamlet", as she termed it.

The groundhog that pops up after Simba's pouncing lesson (the song "Morning Report" in the special edition) was originally going to be a naked mole rat, but the animators couldn't get him to look right. One of the directors said, "We would've lost our G rating!"

The team working on the movie was supposedly Disney's "team B", who were "kept busy" while "team A" worked on Pocahontas, on which the production had much higher hopes.



Final Thoughts
Does the 3d work? Well to be frank……no

I was discussing this with my good friend Refuse Bunny in the car ride home. Basically a flat plain in the film looks spectacular, but the moment you add in a 2d character or some grass, it fails, because there is only so much you can do with a 2d image

It is awesome to see this in the cinema again though, had goosebumps all throughout

The question you’ve got to ask yourself is…would you pay about £10 to see this in the cinema?

It’s justified for me because I have an unlimited card, but I don’t think I would pay out that much if I didn't have one, especially how the 3d is. It is a massive shame that Cineworld are only showing the film in 2d at the weekend in my local area. It may be different for you though

My Advice?
EVERYONE needs to see Lion King

I would say go watch the Blu-Ray or DVD

Only see it in the cinema if you LOVE the film and you’re curious about the 3D

but you do have to WATCH IT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...